Firefighter Spotlight – April 2015 – Chase Reese

chasereeseName: Chase Reese
Date Joined: 2012

Why did you join North Lenoir Fire & Rescue?
I have always been interested in the fire service. I wanted to see what it was all about, so one day I went to North Lenoir Fire/Rescue and filled out an application. After I was voted on and started training, I knew what the fire service was all about. I was happy to go to meeting/training nights because we learned a new skill or got better at what we do each time.

What do you like most about North Lenoir Fire & Rescue?
What I like most about North Lenoir is the brotherhood of the fire service. I know that if I ever need help with anything, my brothers will be there to help me out. I also enjoy the training. Soon after I joined, I knew I wanted to do this as a career. I am currently at Wilson Fire/Rescue Academy to become a professional firefighter.

What do you like to do for fun?
In my spare time I like to hunt, fish, and hang out with my friends. I also enjoy hanging out at the station and doing anything around the fire department to help.

What would people be surprised to know about you?
Some people are surprised when I tell them I am an Eagle Scout and have received all of my palms.

What advice would you give someone interested in joining the fire service?
If you are interested in joining the fire service, I encourage you to do it, but know that it takes a lot of dedication, and is a great responsibility. From the late night trainings and calls to just making sure that the trucks and station are cleaned.

Firefighter Spotlight – March 2015 – Marc Hamilton

marchamiltonName: Marc Hamilton
Date Joined: May 2014

It gave me an opportunity to give back to the community while doing something I loved.

I enjoy working with a diverse group of people that can still share a common goal of helping others while serving the community.

I enjoy hanging out with my friends and having a good one, but mostly I like fishing and hunting or anything outdoors with my buddies.

What community activities are you involved in outside of the fire department?
Outside of the fire department, I attend East Carolina University full time where I am currently a Junior studying Criminal Justice.

I originally got started in the fire service in 2010 at Hugo VFR as a junior fireman. After serving there for 1 year as a junior firefighter and 2 years as firefighter, I found a new home at North Lenoir Fire Rescue.

Go down to your local fire house and find out what it’s all about. If you are up for the challenge, make sure you can be 100% dedicated because lives and property in the community depend on you.

Tell us about your family:
I am a new uncle to my 1 year old niece, Bailey. Both of my parents have served in the military along with my brother in law who is currently serving in the Marine Corps.

Firefighter Spotlight – Logan O’Neal – February 2015

loganonealName: Logan O’Neal
Date Joined: August 2007

I joined North Lenoir when I was 17 years old. At the time I had some friends that were already on the department so I joined up not really knowing what to expect. Little did I know at the time the impact that North Lenoir Fire & Rescue would have on my life some 8 years later! It has been one of the best decisions of my life.

Where do I even begin? The ability to be there in the wake of someone in your community’s worst day and being able to help make a difference in their life is a feeling like none other. That gratitude is worth more than any amount of money that you could be paid.

The brotherhood of the fire service is 2nd to none. Knowing that you have roughly 50 other people in your family that will be there no matter what situation life throws your way means the world to me. The trust and bond that we have will last a lifetime.

The everyday challenge of the fire service is very intriguing to me. There is always something new that can be learned and I love that! The professionalism of operations and training at NLFR are just couple of reason I love my department.

Outside of the fire department, I enjoy hunting, fishing, golfing, going the beach and just about anything else outdoors.

Make sure that it is something that you are ready to commit to. The fire service is not something that you can go out and do half way. It takes commitment and dedication to receive the training necessary and respond to calls in the middle of the night. If you think you are up for the challenge then I strongly advise that you go out to your local department and pick up an application! It will change your life!

Firefighter Spotlight – Billy Youssef – January 2015

Billy (left) with his father Sam (right)

Billy (left) with his father Sam (right)

Name: Billy Youssef
Date Joined: March 2013

I joined because I wanted to challenge my self and help my community.

I like the encouragement that leaders give you. They make you feel like family.

I love to hunt and being outdoors.

I serve as the Co-chairman of North Lenoir Ducks Unlimited.

I’ve been to every continent in the world but Australia.

Never give up, no matter how bad it hurts, because in the end it will pay off. The fire service is a great program to join. You have leaders and other members that will encourage you to be all you can be and they will never let you down.

My family is from Brazil. They are a very loving and caring family. They inspire me in the fire service and they enjoy seeing pictures of us doing what we love to do.

Firefighter Spotlight – Jordan Manning – December 2014

jordanmanningName: Jordan Manning
Date Joined: Firefighter since March 2014

I have been raised in North Lenoir. My dad, Billy Manning, and Papa, Mack Price, were firefighters here for many years, so North Lenoir is in my blood.

What I like most is the brotherhood that everyone here shares. They will stop at nothing to push you until you know how to do the job correctly. Plus, North Lenoir is known for having the best training around.

What I do for fun is hunt, spend time with family and friends, and hang around the fire house.

I have been a member of three different fire departments and I responded to my first active call at 12 years old.

I would advise anyone interested in helping their community to join NLFR.  It’s a great organization to be a part of and the brotherhood is like no other.

I live with my mom, dad, and little brother. All of my family supports my love for the fire service and will continue to support me while I go through the Crystal Coast Fire Academy.

Firefighter Spotlight – Brent West – November 2014

brentwestName: Brent West
Date Joined: Firefighter since 2007

Some of my friends were Jr. Fireman at the time and talked me into joining. I’m really glad they did because it has given me a chance to give back to my community.

The fellowship that comes with joining a fire department is like no other. Its a bond that anyone not on the fire department would not understand.

Enjoying the outdoors and spending time with family and my girlfriend. 

Mostly all I have time for is work and spending time at the fire department.

That I am left handed.

To come down and see if it’s something you would enjoy.  It can be a rewarding career for those that stick with it and learn about the different roles firefighters play on the fire ground.

My dad is a welder and my mom works as an administrative assistant. I couldn’t have asked for better parents. They have always supported me in everything I wanted to do.

Firefighter Spotlight – Aaron Kite – October 2014

aaronkiteName: Aaron Kite
Date Joined: Firefighter since 2010

One of the main reasons why I joined the fire department was because my best friend, Nick Holleman, was on as a junior. I saw how much fun he was having and how much he was learning so I decided that joining would be good for me also. I also was looking for a way to effectively make a difference in my community. What better way to do that than to join the fire department?

What I like most about North Lenoir Fire & Rescue is the amount of dedication every individual has to the fire department. No matter if it is getting a truck out to every call or spending extra time at the stations to make the building look professional, our members volunteer their own time to make us who we are. We deserve to have pride in what we do because of that dedication.

Well, I guess you can say being at the fire department and running calls is kind of a given for a firefighter. When I am not working or in school, I enjoy spending time with family and my girlfriend. I also enjoy hunting and shooting.

I attend 902 Church so I also try to volunteer my time through the church as much as I can. I am also working on my Associate’s Degree in Fire Protection Technology through Wilson Community College. 

Not many people know I was actually born in Nashville, Tennessee. My family and I moved to Kinston when I was about three. My parents decided to move us back because this is where the majority of our family lives.

I always thought being a firefighter is a family tradition kind of thing, and for some people it is. But when I joined, and I learned what it is all about, I found out it is much more than that. It is for anyone that wants to serve their community. I guess my best advice would be if you want to join do not let anyone talk you out of it, not even yourself. Sure, there were times I second guessed myself, but looking back now I am so glad I kept pushing. If being a firefighter is what you want to do, then get out there, go join, go train, and most of all be safe.

I actually do not have any immediate family that is involved with the fire service. My dad works for Butterball in Mount Olive and my mother works for Lenoir Community College. I could not have asked for any better parents. I also have an awesome sister that goes to North Lenoir High School. When I decided to join the fire department they all backed me up and supported my decision. I do have extended family that is greatly involved with the fire service. They have been a huge inspiration to me as I have been building on my fire career.

Firefighter Spotlight – Walker Shelton – September 2014

walkersheltonName: Walker Shelton
Date Joined: Jr. Firefighter 2007-2010, Firefighter 2014

I like helping people and it’s a great way to serve my community. I wanted to do my part in helping to keep my community safe and make a difference in peoples’ lives.

The way the department operates and how we hold ourselves to a professional level whether it be at training or on the fire ground. Also, the training can be pretty intense at times, and can challenge you mentally and physically, but its rewarding to get through it. Being on the department is almost like having a second family. If I ever needed anything, I know all I would have to do is pick up the phone and call anyone on the fire department and they would be there.

I like to go hunting, fishing, and spending time with family and friends. I also like working with wood, making duck calls, and carving duck decoys.

I am a member of Institute United Methodist Church. I was also involved with Boy Scout Troop 392 and received my Eagle Scout.

I have a twin sister who is one minute older than me.

Make sure its something you truly want to do. It takes a lot of time and effort, and it is a huge commitment.

My dad works for R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. My mom has her own business in Kinston and does embroidery and monogramming. My older brother works for Affordable Dentures in Kinston and my twin sister is a junior at East Carolina University.

Firefighter Spotlight – Lynn Hill – August 2014

lynnhillName: Lynn Hill
Rank: Firefighter. Previously served as Captain, Battalion Chief and Assistant Chief.
Date Joined: Jr. Fireman Sept 14, 1984 and Firefighter Sept 23, 1988

My Uncle James Smith and 2 other uncles where fireman so I decided to join to help protect our community and continue the family tradition.

The fellowship and good times with all the guys. I feel that the training in our department is the best around and has always been.

Go to beach, listen to music, grill out, and build websites.

I’m a member of St. John’s #4 Masonic Lodge, Kinston York Rite Chapters, and Knight Templar all located in Kinston. I served as past Master at St. John’s #4 Masonic Lodge.

Always try and help people in need, mostly the children. Have done several fundraisers for people that have really needed the help.

Learn as much as you can and always continue to learn about the fire service. There are always new techniques to learn to save your life and your fellow brothers. No one can ever learn too much about the fire service.

Married to the love of my life Christi Gates Hill for 14 years. She has been my rock and support for me in the fire service and all things I do in life. She has supported me 110% in all my activities.

Firefighter Spotlight – Garrett Jones – July 2014

garrettjonesName: Garrett Jones
Date Joined: June 2012

I knew some of the members and wanted to see if I was up for the challenge.

This fire department allows me to better myself through training, work with some of the best fireman around, and make a difference where I live.

I enjoy being with my family and friends, traveling, and being outside.

Boy Scouts, Troop 63 Eagle Scout in 2006

Find a department that is capable of challenging you in training and personal goals and then work as hard as you can to make that organization a better place.

My family runs a Veterinary Hospital and cattle farm, my younger sister graduates from NC State in December, and we thrive on working together and NC State athletics.