Firefighter Spotlight – Gray Wiley – June 2014

Gray WileyName: Gray Wiley
Date Joined: January, 1985

Why did you join North Lenoir Fire & Rescue?
I enjoy serving my community and helping others.

What do you like most about North Lenoir Fire & Rescue?
I really enjoy the fellowship at North Lenoir Fire & Rescue and having the opportunity to serve others.

What do you like to do for fun?
I enjoy camping and spending time with my family.

What community activities are you involved in outside of the fire department?
I am an active member at 902 Church.

What advice would you give someone interested in joining the fire service?
Set realistic goals that you can achieve and remember that it is all about serving others.

Tell us about your family:
I’m happily married to Neomi Wiley. My son, Lynn Wiley, serves as Assistant Chief at NLFR. I have 2 stepsons, Nicholas Kilpatrick and Ryan Turner, and 1 stepdaughter, Kelly Ingram. I’m the proud grandfather of 4 grandchildren; Matthew, Lexi, Brandon, and Dawson.

Firefighter Spotlight – Greg Arnette – May 2014

Greg Arnette

Name: Greg Arnette
Date Joined: 1996

I grew up watching fire trucks go by and wanting, like every kid does, to one day be a firefighter. I had a few friends that encouraged me to join and having a 1st and 2nd cousin (Aaron and Brian Wade) being involved in NLFR motivated me to get my foot in the door.

Doing the job. There is no greater reward than being a firefighter. It is probably one of the most challenging and rewarding jobs that there is. The job is constantly evolving and developing at a more rapid pace than it ever has. Now that I am older and have moved up in rank, I enjoy training and helping the younger generation develop firefighting and leadership skills, and hope that I can instill traits in them that they can pass on to the next generation.

I enjoy fishing, playing with my 2 boys, playing softball, and just being outdoors.

I am an active member of my church and help coach my kids Little League team.

What would people be surprised to know about you?
That I am an old fashioned guy. Very humble to be where I am and where I came from. I served as an Infantryman in the NC National Guard for 8 years and was on active duty for 2 of those years, serving 1 year in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

It takes time and dedication to do this job correctly. Be willing to study and learn the trade not only at training, but in your off time as well. Know and do your job, put pride in your self and the organization, and the rewards for that will be limitless.

Tell us about your family:
I have a beautiful wife of 9 years that has put up with me for 15 years. She is an elementary school teacher in this county and we have two beautiful boys, ages 4 and 6, that keep us going 24-7. We love to spend our weekends at the beach fishing. Kinston has always been our home.

Firefighter Spotlight – Trey Kornegay – April 2014

Trey Kornegay

Name: Trey Kornegay
Date Joined: January, 2010

As a kid, I had a fascination with fire trucks and I have always enjoyed helping others in times of need.

Everyone is like a brother to each other. Someone always has your back. I’m always amazed at the amount of dedication to helping others.

I like to be outdoors. I love fishing, hunting, wake-boarding, hiking, kayaking, and more.

I spend most my free time down at the fire department.

I’m a really nice, “down to earth” person.

There is no other feeling that compares to helping someone. It’s also the biggest adrenaline rush you can legally have. If you enjoy helping others in times of need, this is the job for you!

Tell us about your family.
My dad owns his own rental business and sells houses on the real estate market. My mom is a retired school teacher. I have one brother that is currently enrolled at NCSU.

Firefighter Spotlight – Tyler Moore – March 2014

Tyler Moore

Name: Tyler Moore
Date Joined: February, 2002

I was advised by Brian Wade, then a Battalion Chief with North Lenoir Fire & Rescue, that I should join the Junior Firefighter program. He told me that it was fun and that I had the ability to help the community in the future with the proper guidance and knowledge.

I enjoy the fact that it empowers me to be a better person, and to be better than the competition through dedication in training. I love competition and winning, and I want to be an active part of making North Lenoir Fire & Rescue a better department.

I enjoy learning as much as I can about history and science.

I am very active in the fire department, and that is all I have time for outside of school and work.

I attribute all of my knowledge in this field and some of my life lessons to Brian Wade. Brian took took me under his wing, molded and guided me to be the individual I am today. It was a road paved with much “constructive criticism” and fun that I would never wish to take back. It was those lessons that enabled me to be a better person in life.

If you are looking for an adventure and are aspiring to help your community then there is no better job than to be in the fire service. This job requires dedication beyond the grasp of many. A life in the fire service will prepare your mind for future battles you may encounter in life. I know that it has helped me in my life. This job is a thankless one, but we do not do this for the “thank yous” or “atta boys.” We do this because of our love of public service, our vision to do something that is bigger than us, and most importantly to be better than average. If someone is looking for some place to hang out and socialize, this is not the job for you.

Tell us about your family.
My parents are Tony and Judy Moore. I have an older sister, Jony, and older brother, Tony. My father was a member of North Lenoir Fire & Rescue when he was younger (late teens early twenties). He told me once about a fire that he went to when he was younger. I didn’t found out that he was a member until after I had joined the fire department. My parents have lived inside North Lenoir’s Fire District since I was born in 1988. I’m married to my best friend, Brittany.

Editor’s Note: In addition to volunteering with North Lenoir Fire & Rescue, Tyler is a career firefighter with the Wilson Fire Department, where he has served since 2008.

North Lenoir Fire & Rescue Takes Delivery of New Thermal Imaging Camera

msaevolution6000North Lenoir Fire & Rescue recently took delivery of a new MSA Evolution 6000 Plus Thermal Imaging Camera. The Evolution 6000 Plus meets the new NFPA 1801 standard, and offers enhanced features; including best in class image quality, a rugged/lightweight design, and a laser pointer/range finder.

A Thermal Imaging Camera is a device that allows the operator to see areas of heat through smoke, darkness, or heat-permeable barriers to find a victim or fire. Thermal Imaging Cameras can be used to find downed victims or missing persons, save lives of firefighters, and to prevent or extinguish fires by detecting hot spots and potential hazards.

A portion of the funds to purchase the new Thermal Imaging Camera were provided by a $2,000 grant from Tri-County EMC. North Lenoir Fire & Rescue now has a total of 5 Thermal Imaging Cameras in service.

North Lenoir Fire & Rescue Adds New Trucks to Fleet

NorthLenoirNewTrucksThe North Lenoir Fire & Rescue Department recently added two new trucks to its fleet: a 2013 Pierce Commercial Cab 1,000 gallon pumper-tanker, and a 2013 Pierce Commercial Cab 2,100 gallon tanker.

These new trucks will replace aging equipment, a 1998 Pierce Custom Cab Pumper that was sold to the Snow Hill Fire Department and a 1987 Pierce GMC Standard Cab Tanker.

“With the addition of these two new trucks, we will be able to better serve our community and get more water to locations that are not equipped with fire hydrants during an emergency,” said Brian Wade, North Lenoir Fire & Rescue Chief. “3,100 gallons is a substantial amount of water to be able to take to a fire where hydrants are sparse or not available.”

North Lenoir Fire & Rescue personnel recently received training from Pierce Manufacturing on the new apparatus, and the trucks have been outfitted with all necessary fire fighting equipment. The new trucks are expected to be in service for approximately 20 years.

North Lenoir Fire & Rescue Visits Local Elementary School Students for Fire Prevention Week

Firefighter Brice Turner (left) and Captain Mike Muskus (right) demonstrate how a firefighter looks and sounds when going into a home to fight a fire and search for possible victims.

North Lenoir Fire & Rescue recently visited with Banks Elementary School, Bethel Christian Academy and Parrott Academy students to discuss fire safety and prevention during National Fire Prevention Week (Oct. 6-12). This year, the theme was “Prevent Kitchen Fires,” teaching children to practice safe cooking and kitchen behaviors.

The school visits reached approximately 1,000 students and included a presentation on fire safety, smoke detectors, how to safely exit a home during an emergency, fire extinguishers, and even a tour of a fire engine. Students were able to enter the cab of the fire engine to touch and feel turnout gear, fire helmets and air packs, and to see where firefighters keep equipment and sit on the way to a fire.

Fire Pup visits Banks Elementary School Students

Fire Pup visits Banks Elementary School Students

Thanks to our brothers at the City of Kinston Fire Department, we were able to arrange a visit from Fire Pup at Banks Elementary School. The kids thoroughly enjoyed talking with Fire Pup about fire safety and the equipment that firefighters use.